September 8, 2011

Number ten of my top ten.

Thanks for reading "The Only Review You Need." This will be my first official post; hence the first posting was more of a welcome. This is my official top ten DVDs I own one by one:  Number 10 as it falls in my favorites is … drum roll... "First Blood," starring Sylvester Stallone, directed by Ted Kotcheff. This movie is rated R for Violence, language, and some gore.

  STORY

           The story is that of a war torn Vietnam veteran returning to the United States only to
 find that the emotion surrounding returning vets was not the hero's return he was expecting. In fact, his return was littered with harassment and discrimination. In a small town called Hope, he finds a group of ruthless and calloused sheriffs who push John Rambo over the line. He retreats into a forest where he then relies on his training as a green beret to outlast and survive the ensuing police force.

ACTING
            The acting troupe is led by Sylvester Stallone, with Richard Crenna,
 and Brian Dennehy. The acting is fairly believable as Stallone sticks with minimal dialogue. However, he still manages to put that "Stallone" touch into some classic lines such as "I could have killed them all, I could have killed you. In town the law is you, out here it's me." Crenna also offers some memorable lines, such as "I didn't come here to rescue Rambo from you; I came here to rescue you from him." All in all the acting is sufficient for a 1982 action drama.

MUSIC
            The music adds to the film in the way only a 1982 score* can. The original music is done by Jerry Goldsmith. It is a skillful and militaristic score, heavy with the percussion that adds tension where there needs to be, and balanced with subtle emotion that creeps through just enough to make one feel sorry for the solitary lonely soldier. It is surprising to have an orchestra supply the sounds in an 80's action movie, but the difference is encouraging.

RE-WATCHABILITY
            This last category I will address is another made up term: re-watch ability. Is this movie one that can be watched again and again? I can answer this question with a resounding yes. This is not a feel good movie but is surprisingly moving, and if you are in the need of an action film with real emotion and reasonable motives, then this is a great pick. The movie is not as gory as some of the newer war movies but still as gritty. I would say that I watch "First Blood" at least twice a year.

PURCHASABILITY
            Ok folks it is now time for my recommendation of purchasability. Purchasability is advised under a few conditions.  I would recommend that you buy this movie if you see it in a four pack for $15.00. Along with "First Blood" you get Rambo: First Blood Part 2, Rambo III and Rambo. The second and third Rambo films hold no real value except for ridiculous action scenes and fake emotionality, but the last Rambo is worth watching. It's still not nearly as good as "First Blood", but still good. Caution is advised before you watch the fourth Rambo, however; the level of gore is 1000 times more than the first. Over all Rambo lands in my top ten at number
 ten!
 
*Score verse soundtrack! The Score is music that was composed for the film, and the soundtrack will be music that is used in the move. The perfect example would be the Lion King. The Soundtrack was done by Elton John and Tim Rice, while the score was done by Hans Zimmer.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an entertaining movie kev. Like the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Starting off with a bang my friend. An interesting choice at number 10. Not what I was expecting, but now that I think of it, maybe I am not that surprised. Having only seen the movie once I cannot test the rewatchability factor, but I couldn't agree more with your recommendation of owning it along with the entire set of 4. Very good sir. I look forward to seeing the remaining movies in your top ten list!

    ReplyDelete